Tuesday 20 March 2012

THEATRE PHOTOGRAPHY

Its always a big event when  Theatre Complicite returns to London with their latest show. Simon McBurney has directed The Master and Margarita which opens at The Barbican Theatre tomorrow.
Last week I was able to take some photographs of the show which I have now uploaded to my archival website at
http://geraint-lewis.photoshelter.com/



Photographing with stage lighting has always been a challenge but with the latest Nikon digital cameras I am able to work away comfortably in even the lowest levels compared with the days of film, which due to its  sensitivity, had its  limits. I can usually work away with sensitivity of the camera's sensor set to 1600 or 3200 asa.  Even then only the fastest lenses are mandatory and quite often used wide open. Although stopping down a stop or two can increase depth of field and the quality of the image which is preferable.  I tend to use 2 or 3  Nikon cameras with  a combination of a telephoto zoom, the 70-200mm/f2.8 and a wide angle zoom, 24-70mm/f2.8 for a shoot like this .
 I may use other lenses as required, such as a 14-24 mm/f2.8 for wider images or a faster prime lens such as a 50mm/f1.4 or 85mm/1.8 in extremely dark scenes.

I always shoot with the camera set to Raw mode which gives me  many more choices during the post production of the images regarding colour balance, highlight and shadow detail , sharpening levels and much more to get the result I am looking for. I never understood the wisdom of shooting jpegs straight out of the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment